If you enjoy reading and spend a lot of time reading or maybe you have a family member who does, why not hone your woodworking skills by building them their very own book holder. It’s a pretty simple project and is perfect for the beginner looking for easier projects to do. Let’s look at this book holder project.
Here’s what you’re going to need for materials for building your book holder.
– A piece of a hardwood type plywood [oak or birch works].
– Some ¾ inch x 6 inch piece of hardwood.
– 1 ¼ inch wood screws.
– Some 100 grit sandpaper.
– Some carpenters glue and wood filler.
– Small tin of interior varathane diamond wood finish.
The 3 Steps to Create Your Book Holder
– Cut your piece of [birch or oak] plywood to size. See plan below.
– Next cut the ¾ inch x 6 inch material to the lengths you need.
– Once you’ve cut them sand them down and wipe clean.
Step 2]… Time to put your book holder together.
– Glue and attach the lip edge piece to the top plywood panel with the 1 ¼ inch screws, be sure to pre drill and countersink the pieces first.
– Attach the brace and legs as per plan.
– Assembly and screw all the pieces together now.
Step 3]… Apply the finish.
– Fill in the screw holes with your filler, allow to dry and refill again if required.
– Sand the filled areas with your 100 grit sandpaper and wipe clean.
– Apply 3 coats of the diamond varathane, allow to dry overnight and lightly sand between coats.
There you have it, your very own book holder, you can easily change the size of your book holder if you need a smaller or larger one.